Sweatpants for Tall Men
Welcome to your guide for all things sweatpants for Tall Men. Below you will learn how to style your tall sweatpants, fix them, adapt them and wear them with confidence outside your house. Most importantly I have added a list of all the brands that have 36-inch inseam and up for you to buy from.
This is the Sweatpants for Tall Men: Guide to Shopping & Wearing.
Welcome to the ultimate guide on all things sweatpants for tall men. Being 6’7, I know the feeling all too well of a poor-fitting pair of sweatpants. They never fit like the advertisements, do they?
This guide will help you understand a bit more about how to wear and take care of your sweatpants, followed by the best brands to buy your tall men sweatpants.
Is There a Difference Between Sweatpants and Joggers?
Yes, there is a difference between sweatpants and joggers.
The difference between sweatpants and joggers is that sweatpants are made for colder weather and colder situations. A sweatpant is made to keep you warmer in winter, and how most of us use it to keep us warm sitting around at home on weekends. And not to forget the perfect work uniform for zoom calls.
While joggers are made more for your active side of life, keeping you moving and working out with comfortable long-legged pants. If still unsure about what you want to buy, I dive much deeper into the difference between Joggers vs Sweatpants.
Read: What are Joggers? Answered!
Is it OK to Wear Sweatpants in Public?
Yes, it is 100% ok to wear sweatpants in public. You can style them in many ways to stay comfortable and still look cool. Remember that looking cool comes from confidence, so no matter what you choose to pair your sweatpants with, you will pull it off if you feel confident.
Read: How to dress sweatpants.
How Long are Tall Sweatpants?
How to Style Sweatpants
The best way to style your sweatpants is to treat them like you would a pair of jeans. If you are also looking for the perfect pair of jeans for tall men, we got you covered.
7 ways to style sweatpants:
- Choose sweatpants that are fitted rather than baggy
- Pair them with a trendy coat or blazer
- Wear them with both high tops and low top sneakers
- Wear them with leather boots
- Stick with a monochromatic palette
- Pair a backpack or fanny pack to compliment them
- Wear your sweatpants with lots of layers
Learn more about how to style your sweatpants where we dive deeper on this topic.
What to Wear with Sweatpants
The simplest way to wear your sweatpants around home or out for the day is to pair them with a crisp white t-shirt. For an extra layer up top, you can put on a hoodie only if it doesn’t extend past the bottom of your t-shirt. You want at least 3 inches of t-shirt showing. And for shoes to wear, a classic Chuck Taylor will keep your outfit crisp and simple, but always make sure your shoelaces are clean. Learn how to clean shoelaces with us.
Read: What to wear with sweatpants.
How to Fold Sweatpants
Knowing how to fold sweatpants will help you make them presentable when you want to wear them for a day or night out. Folding your sweatpants will stop wrinkles and creases from forming.
- Lay the sweatpants on a flat surface
- Fold the sweatpants in half, so the legs overlap
- Fold them in half vertically
- Fold them in half once more
- Finally, place them in your closet or clothing drawer.
How to Roll Sweatpants
The act of rolling your sweatpants instead of folding them will help you pack more into your Carry-On or Check-In luggage when traveling. Dive deeper on how to do this well with our article how to roll sweatpants.
- Lay sweatpants on a flat surface
- Fold the sweatpants in half
- Start rolling from the waist
- Pack your rolled sweatpants into the bottom of your luggage
How to Cuff Sweatpants
Having baggy sweatpants around your shoes is not the look you want if you are trying to be fashionable. To cuff your sweatpants, you want the final cuff to end up just past your ankle. Here is how to cuff your sweatpants with a rubber band, and here is how to make your sweatpants tighter from the cuff to the waist.
- Roll your sweatpants up 3 inches
- Pull the rubber band over your foot and onto the center of the cuff
- Pull the top of the cuff down over the rubber band
- Tuck the rubberband under your sweatpants
- Throw on your fresh kicks and hit the streets
How to Restring Sweatpants
It’s always good to know how to restring your sweatpants if you forget to tie your drawstring in a knot before washing them. If you forgot to tie your drawstrings together and the washing machine pulled one end out, this is how you can restring your sweatpants.
- Pull the drawstring out entirely if it’s lost halfway
- Stick a safety pin through one end and secure it
- Insert the safety pin through one eyelet
- Cinch the fabric towards the safety pin, making the safety pin move forward
- Keep scrunching the safety pin through the waistband until it appears through the other eyelet
- Remove the safety pin and make a knot on each end of the drawstring
How to Stretch Sweatpants
To stretch your sweatpants start by soaking them in your shower or bathtub. Take the soaked sweatpants and use a clothes hanger with clips on the bottom. Clip the waist of your sweatpants and hang the hanger on your shower head, letting them drip dry. The weight of the water will stretch the pants out. Here is a more detailed step-by-step guide to learning how to stretch your sweatpants.
Tall Men Clothing
Sweatpants for Tall Men
Now that we have gotten all the styling and care needs over with for your new pair of sweatpants let’s dive into the best companies out there making sweatpants that fit tall men.
The first group of companies is leading the industry to create only clothing that fits tall men like you and me— starting their clothing charts at 6’3 and sometimes working up to 7’0 tall.
The second grouping of companies is the big name brands that generally have always catered to the Big & Tall crowd as the only tall clothing made. We both know that Big & Tall does not answer the problems us tall and athletic or lean men have. With these brands, you will have to do some more work finding that pair of sweatpants that fit you due to them not having dedicated lines or teams to the tall men in the world.
If joggers are more what you are looking for, you can find our guide to men’s tall joggers. This guide will help you style them and give you the top brands online to buy from.
Here is where to buy sweatpants for tall guys.
Tall Men Sweatpants Brands
American Tall is a leading North American brand in market of Tall Men sweatpants and clothing. Their sweatpants can be found under the “Athletic Pants” section, that combines their sweat pants and joggers. There is a wide variety of styles and colours.
2Tall is a leading United Kingdom brand in the market of Tall Men clothing and carries a line of sweatpants. You can find their sweatpants under their “Joggers” section. There is not much variety in styles and they offer a handful of colours.
For The Fit
For The Fit is a brand for focuses on creating clothes for people who are not “average size.” They have both Tall Men and Short Men’s sweatpants.
Big Brands with Tall Men Sweatpants
Mac Weldon will have some sweatpants sized right for Tall Men.
Los Angeles Apparel
Los Angeles Apparel will have some sweatpants sized right for Tall Men.
Lulu Lemon will have some sweatpants sized right for Tall Men.
Old Navy will have some sweatpants sized right for Tall Men.
Nordstrom’s will have some sweatpants sized right for Tall Men.
Sweatpants for Tall Men FAQ's
Yes, sweatpants are warmer than jeans in most situations. If you are looking to wear a pair of pants around the home, then sweatpants are what you will want. Jeans can be warmer when it comes to extreme cold, wind and precipitation.
Yes, you can tailor sweatpants.
It is possible to tailor sweatpants at home, while you can also take them to your local tailor shop. With the help of a washing machine and dryer, you may be able to alter your sweatpants enough that you do not need to bring out a need and thread. When you start unstitching or cutting, there is an opportunity to have your sweatpants come out worse than when you started.
- For 100% cotton sweatpants set the washing machine to the highest water temperature setting, and adjust the wash cycle to the longest possible time. If your sweatpants are a cotton poly blend, consider using medium heat or a shorter wash cycle, and observe the results.
- Remove the sweatpants from the washer. Check the sweatpants to make sure they are damp, not soaking wet. If they are soaking wet, put them back in the washer and do a spin cycle to remove any of the excess water.
- Shake the sweatpants out before you place them in the dryer to make sure there is no excess dirt or debris.
- Place the sweatpants in the dryer. If your sweatpants are 100% cotton, adjust the heat setting to tumble dry high. If your sweatpants are a cotton poly blend then use tumble dry medium and observe the results and modify as necessary.
- Feel free to check on the sweatpants periodically to ensure that you don’t over shrink them.
- Remove the sweatpants and wear or store appropriately.
The best way to prevent your sweatpants from shrinking is never to put them in the dryer. The constant heat and tumbling will make the cotton fibres restrict, leaving your sweats shrunk. Instead of using a dryer, you should hang them on a drying rack, back of a chair or outside anywhere clean.
- First check the care label to see if there are any specific instructions
- Turn your sweatpants inside out as this will protect the delicate outer layer
- Put your sweatpants into the washing machine before you attempt to shrink them in the dryer. Your sweatpants should be damp, but not soaking wet.
- For 100% cotton sweatpants, run the dryer on tumble dry high and periodically pause and observe the process to make sure you don’t over shrink your sweatpants.
- Once finished, remove your sweatpants from the dryer and store appropriately.
Sweatpants are most commonly made from a cotton polyester blend, however they do come in a number of other materials.
- Turn your sweatpants inside out to protect the outer layer from wear and tear.
- Place your sweatpants in the washing machine.
- Adjust the washer settings to delicate so that the machine uses cold water and gentle agitation.
- Remove the sweatpants from the washing machine and proceed to dry them appropriately.
No, you should not pout your sweatpants into the dryer if you do not want them to shrink substantially.
There are 3 ways to remove lint balls from your sweatpants.
- Use a fabric razor to remove lint balls from your sweatpants by gently sliding the razor over the fabric to remove the lint balls from the surface.
- You can use a lint roller or the sticky side of duct tape to remove lint balls from your sweatpants
- The most slow and laborious way to remove lint balls from your sweatpants is to use a pair of scissors to cut off each and every lint ball.
- Turn your sweatpants inside out.
- Optional: Place your sweatpants into a mesh laundry bag.
- Place your sweatpants into the washing machine.
- Optional: Add liquid laundry detergent
- Adjust the settings on the washing machine to the highest water temperature, as well as the longest wash cycle duration possible.
- Once finished, remove your sweatpants from the washing machine and place them into the dryer.
- Adjust the settings on the dryer to tumble dry high and push start.
- Once finished, your sweatpants will be shrunk and ready to wear.