Jeans for Tall Men
This is your #1 guide to shopping for jeans for tall men. Tall guys, girlfriends of tall skinny guys, boyfriends of tall and slim guys I have you covered. From a 36” inseam all the way up to 40 inch inseam and more of the best denim looks for comfort and style.
This is the Jeans for tall men: Guide to shopping & wearing.
My tall brothers, welcome to the ultimate guide on all things jeans. In this article, I will share with you the best tall men brands plus big brands that carry jeans that will fit you.
Also, I will make sure you know how to wash, handle and alter the jeans you have to make them the perfect pair of jeans for you.
Where to Buy Jeans for Tall Men
The tall men clothing industry has gotten better at getting away from strictly Big & Tall sizes, giving more options to skinnier tall men that don’t fit the “Big” stereotype of expanding ‘out’ as we grow ‘up.’
However, the industry doesn’t cater to every tall man’s body type out there still. Even with this guide, I want you to be patient in your shopping journey. Take deep breaths to ease your stress and anxiety if you have trouble finding that perfect pair.
My goal is to make your shopping experience as least frustrating as possible.
What are the Best Denim Jeans for Tall Men
American Tall has the best denim jeans for us tall men. American Tall has around thirty different pairs of jeans for you to choose from in 2022. They are the leading brand in the tall men clothing market for jeans.
How to Style Jeans
Styling your jeans can be as simple as you want, like adding a good-fitting t-shirt. Or you can create layers on layers giving yourself options. Here are three easy fits that look great on any tall man.
How to Style Jeans With A T-shirt
When it comes to styling jeans and a t-shirt, the fit is critical. There are many different cuts and styles you can wear, but as a tall man having a t-shirt that is a closer cut will work with your long, lean lines. Find the best T-shirt Brands for Tall Men in our guide.
How to Style Jeans With A Shirt
You can wear a shirt with jeans buttoned up or unbuttoned. The shirt’s fit depends on the look you are going for; however, you will want the shirt to be long enough to reach the upper part of your butt. Another way to wear your shirt is not to wear it but to style it around your waist, knotting the sleeves. Find the best Shirt Brands for Tall Men in our guide.
How to Style Jeans With A Jacket
When styling a suit jacket with jeans, you want to make sure the jacket fits properly. This look is a power move when appropriately done, and it is a look that tall men pull off better than those shorter than 6’3. However, if the jacket is not tailored right, it will change the look and confidence when wearing it.
Learn How to Dress up Jeans with our guide.
How to Distress Jeans
Knowing how to distress jeans is one thing, while being able to do it to perfection is another. I suggest you try distressing an old pair of jeans that don’t fit you anymore before doing it to your new pair of tall jeans.
Let our in-depth guide take step-by-step through the jean distressing process.
Fade the Dye
- Make a mixture of 50/50 water and bleach.
- Paint the mixture with a brush on the areas you want to be treated.
- Let sit overnight.
- Wash and dry to finish.
Fray the Pockets and Edges
- Use a disposable shaving razor or sandpaper.
- Scrape your tool of choice over the area you want distressed.
- Areas to focus on: Zipper, waistband, pockets.
Check out our descriptive guide on How to Fray Jeans: Follow These Simple Steps to help you get a better understanding.
Use Bobby Pins to Make Smaller Holes
- Great for subtle distressing.
- Choose a bobby pin with a blunt metal edge.
- Create a tiny hole by scraping at the denim.
Cut and Pluck for Big threaded Holes
- For not so subtle distressing.
- Cut horizontal strips half-inch apart.
- Make strip as long as you desire.
- Pluck the blue threads out with a pair of tweezers.
- You can tear some white threads to make them look “messier.”
- Use ones of these: nail file, cheese grater or tweezers.
- Mark area with chalk.
- Use choice object above on area.
Rub with Sandpaper for softness
Check out our super simple example of how to soften your jeans with a piece of sandpaper. If you want a few more options that will soften your jeans, we got you covered.
- Choose less course (gritty) sandpaper for this job.
- Rub over the desired area to soften.
How to Stretch out Jeans
Even though there are many more jeans available on the market to fit you as a tall guy, you might have your eyes on a pair that is just a tad small. We have all dealt with this before, so here are six tips for stretching out a pair of jeans to fit your leg length or waist size.
- Wet your jeans, then stretch them.
- Use a blow dryer to heat the area you want to be stretched.
- Use a waistband stretcher.
- Pull your pant leg over your head (yes, you read that right.)
- Wet jeans, then put a foam roller into the leg.
- Wear your jeans in a warm water bath while you wear them.
We’ve put together these 5 ways to stretch your jeans to give you more option How to Stretch Out Jeans: 5 Methods to Choose From
How to Shrink Jeans
Knowing how to shrink jeans will come in handy when you find that perfect pair that is just outside your size!
With these 4 techniques you can shrink those jeans a full size and make the purchase with confidence you will wear them soon enough. From waist to leg size.
- Put in washer and dryer
- Boil them in water
- Use an iron
- Bath in them
How to Cuff Jeans
The best trick we tall guys can do is cuff our jeans; that way, having short jeans is stylish and not awkward. The companies below will help you find those long jeans you have been missing all your life, but that doesn’t mean the cuff needs to leave your fashion tips and tricks.
- Start with a Slim fit or chinos for the best cuff.
- Grab the inseam of your pants, then pinch it and pull it.
- Fold the seam in and grab the bottom.
- Cuff the fold twice, keeping the overlap in place.
- When done the second fold, tuck the overlap in place.
- Smooth out the cuff, and then you are ready to go.
How to Fold Jeans
Now that you have a pair of jeans you are proud to wear, and make you feel confident, and you should treat them right. There are many ways to fold your jeans, but let these bullet points help you out in a pinch as you stare at your jeans on your bedroom floor.
- Smooth out the pockets.
- Hold up the jeans and shake a few times.
- Fold one leg over the other.
- Fold the jeans in half or thirds.
How to Wash Jeans
Washing your jeans is not the same as washing your shirts, hoodies or any other piece of clothing that you have. Constantly washing your jeans will wear them out faster than desired, so if your body leaves an undesirable smell on them after a few wears, you can try throwing them in a freezer bag then into the freezer overnight.
When you need to put your jeans in for a thorough wash, follow these steps.
- Turn your jeans inside out and zip them up.
- Use cold water.
- Wash on a delicate or gentle cycle.
- Wash with like colours.
- Air dry your jeans once washed.
Tall Men Clothing
Jeans for Tall Men
Now that we have gotten all the wear and care needs over with for your new pair of jeans let’s dive into the best companies out there making jeans for tall men.
You will want to keep this How to Measure Jean’s guide handy on a separate tab.
The first group of companies is leading the industry to create only clothing that fits tall men like you and me—usually starting at 6’3 and making denim that include more lean builds.
The second grouping of companies is the big name brands that generally have always catered to the Big & Tall crowd. However, in recent years they have recognized the large group of men not to shop with them. With these brands, you will have to do some more work finding that right pair of jeans that fit you due to them not having dedicated lines or teams to the tall men in the world.
For the fellas who are more plus size check out our big and tall jeans guide.
Tall Men Jean Brands
American Tall is a leading North American brand in market of Tall Men clothing. They offer two main lengths that cover different height ranges. The first is “Tall” and this is clothing made for men 6’3 – 6’7 and the second is “Extra Tall” which caters to men 6’8 and up.
2Tall is a leading United Kingdom brand in the market of Tall Men clothing. They are proudly not a Big and Tall store, instead they create their fashion pieces towards slim and athletically built tall men.
Cub Jeans is out of Paris, France. Franc and Antoine create jeans for tall men closer to an artisanal production. 250 copies are made from each blue jeans or trousers. This gives you a special piece of denim and style, knowing that you are one of a few wearing that exact pant.
Big Brands with Tall Men Jeans
Nordstrom’s Big & Tall line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
Levi’s Big and Tall line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
Old Navy men’s jeans line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
34 Heritage’s jean line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
JC Penney men’s jeans line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
Wrangler’s Big & Tall jean line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
Mavi’s jean line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
ASOS’s jean line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
American Eagles’ jean line will have some jeans cut for Tall Men.
Jeans For Tall Men FAQ
Knowing How to Measure Inseam on Jeans is not different than knowing How to Measure Your Inseam on any other pair of slacks.
- Lay your jeans down flat on a flat surface
- Fold your jeans so that each leg is on top of the other
- Lift the top jean leg towards your waist and place them there
- Be careful in placing the top pant as not to twist the crotch area
- Also, remove any crease to get a better measurement
- Take a measuring tape and measure starting from the bottom of your pant leg, measuring up to the hem of your crotch
- Make sure to measure it all the way down along the seam of the pants
Yes, You can Tailor Jeans. By taking your jeans top a tailor, or doing the alterations at home bye yourself, you can change the size of your jeans. Tailoring your jeans can make the pant leg, cuffs, waist and even butt fit better.
- Using pliers, remove the top stops on both sides. Pry the top stops apart to loosen them and pull them off the zipper fabric.
- Next, use the pliers to pull off 2 or 3 teeth from each side of the top of the zipper. Pry the teeth apart to loosen them and pull them away from the zipper fabric.
- Remove the zipper pull after you have removed the zipper teeth. Slide the zipper pull entirely off of the track. Set the zipper pull aside once-off; you will need it to go back on.
- Close the zipper teeth with your fingers. Press the teeth together as if you are zipping the zipper up from the bottom. Connect the teeth to the top of the zipper.
- Replace the zipper pull by sliding it down from the top when all the teeth are interlocked. As you do this, some of the teeth may come apart. Reconnect them if they do.
- Take the zipper top stops you removed earlier and use your pliers to reconnect them to the zipper fabric. Replace each of the zipper stops right above the zipper teeth by squeezing them closed around the zipper fabric. There should be no gaps between the zipper teeth and top stops.
There are many ways to make your jeans tighter, starting off with who is going to do it? You or a tailor? After your decide that you can either choose to shrink the jeans with hot water and air, or tailor them with a sewing needle, sewing machine and physically altering the fabric. This works on the waist, inseam, pant leg, cuffs, crotch and buttocks.
Make your jeans waist smaller by altering the waistband. To alter your waistband there are few options including sending them to a tailor. If you want to make your jeans waist smaller yourself you can tailor them yourself with a seam ripper, sewing machine and more sewing pieces. Or you can simple shrink them in hot water.
The best thing you can do to soften your jeans is to wear them as much as possible right away. By wearing them to ‘break them in,’ the jeans will soften, mould and fold in the exact areas your body wants them to.
To distress your jeans you will want to first mark the with chalk. Doing this will help you see the final product before you make a single cut. Next you will want to cut, slash, fray, rub, wash, and bleach the denim fabric. Once you have the fashion look you want, put your jeans in the wash and air dry them.
To starch jeans at your house you first need to buy or make liquid starch and put it into a spray bottle. With a clean pair of jeans you can then wash them in the liquid starch or spray the liquid onto the jeans and iron it in.
You can starch your jeans for these 4 reasons.
- Seals them from dirt particles.
- Makes them more flame resistant.
- Creates stronger creases in your pants.
- Leave a sheen on the denim that looks more professional.
Yes, your jeans will shrink in the dryer if you put them through a full cycle. Hot air is a great way to shrink the denim fabric. It is best to hang dry your jeans if you do not want them to shrink.
To hang your jeans first lay them flat and fold one leg over the other then grab your jeans at the cuff of the legs. Slide the leg through a clothing hanger until it is balanced perfectly with the waist and cuffs hanging near each other. Then put your jeans away.
The quickest and least obtrusive way to stretch your jeans waist is to dampen them first. Then once the full waistband is damp, grip the waist with both hands and pull apart. With enough force you will stretch the waistband.
To cuff your jeans use the single leg cuff. Flip the bottom of your jeans upwards and outwards, about 2 inches (5 cm) above the hem. Make sure the cuff is even all the way around.
Lay the jeans flat on the ironing board with the fly button and zipper undone. Turn the pockets inside out. Put the ironing board into the waistband of the jeans and press the wrinkles on the waistband. Line up the seams of the legs and run the hot iron down the thigh, knee, and calf areas of the jeans to finish.