How to Stretch Out Jeans
Jeans are meant to be comfortable, which means they should not be too tight around your waist, thighs, or any other part of your leg. To stretch out your jeans you will need water, physical labour (by you) or a stretching tool. Over time your sweatpants can also shrink, all you need is to lets the weeks of use add up.
This is How to Stretch Out Jeans: 5 Methods to Choose From.
Jeans may not always fit properly and may need to be either shrunk or stretched at some point. Your jeans may have shrunk in the wash and need to be stretched again, or maybe you’ve lost some weight and you are looking to shrink them down a few sizes.
Read How to Shrink Jeans, if you’re on the wrong article!
In this article, we will show you how to stretch jeans so that they fit you properly and comfortably.
We have methods and tips for stretching out everything from your waistband to the knees and thighs of your jeans.
Jeans that fit too tightly can be uncomfortable as well as unsightly. Continue reading to learn about the 5 different methods available for stretching out your jeans.
How to Stretch Out Jeans
Use the 5 methods described below to stretch your jeans in any areas that may be fitting too tightly. Before you start getting to work on stretching them be sure your jeans are as clean as possible with our How to Wash Jeans guide.
Most of the methods listed below simply require the use of some water and a little bit of elbow grease. Identify the area of your jeans that needs to be stretched, and find the available method that works best for you.
For other pieces of clothing in your closet that need stretching, we created these step-by-step guides for you.
Method 1: Spray and Stretch Your Jeans
This method is great because you do not need to soak the entire pair of jeans, rather you can just use a spray bottle to target individual areas that need to be stretched.
- Fill a spray bottle with lukewarm water that is approximately 80°F/26°C.
- Spray and add moisture to the areas of your jeans that you wish to stretch.
- Spray until the area is somewhere in between damp and soaking wet.
- Grab your jeans with both hands and stretch and pull as hard as you can.
- Repeat the process as many times as necessary to achieve your desired level of stretch.
Method 2: Do Squats, Lunges, and Stretches in Your Jeans
Performing this method will allow you to burn some calories and get in shape while you are simultaneously stretching your jeans! Stretch your jeans and lose weight at the same time? Sounds like the perfect combination!
- Wet your jeans either by using a spray bottle or by soaking them in water.
- As uncomfortable as it may be, put your jeans on.
- Once wearing your jeans, proceed to lunge, squat, stretch, and move. This will help to stretch the size of your jeans.
- Continue to squat and lunge until your jeans have stretched to your requirements.
- Take off your jeans and either hang or lay flat to dry.
Method 3: Use a Waistband Stretcher
If your waistband is too small, the most effective solution is to use a waistband stretcher with your jeans.
Waistband stretchers do a good job at isolating the waistband while leaving the rest of your jeans unaffected.
To stretch your waist, first dampen the waistband, and then place the waistband stretcher inside of your pants. Leave the waistband stretcher overnight while the pants dry, and when you come back, your waistband will have expanded significantly.
Method 4: Wear Your Jeans in the Bath
While this method may be (extremely) uncomfortable, it is also highly effective and easy to do.
Adhere to the following steps to successfully stretch your jeans by wearing them in the bath.
- Fill your bathtub with lukewarm water.
- Put on your jeans and get into the bathtub.
- Soak in the bathtub for 4 to 8 minutes.
- Get out of the bathtub, and continue to wear your jeans.
- Wear your jeans outside in the sun, and let them dry off on your body. Bake your jeans into your desired size and shape!
- Wear until dry and repeat the process if necessary.
Method 5: Use a Blow Dryer
The blow dryer is the source of quite a few unconventional life hacks, and it can also help us to stretch out our jeans.
Simply use the blow dryer to apply heat to the area of your jeans that you wish to stretch out. Continue heating the area until it is hot and malleable.
Once the fabric has been heated, use your hands to pull and stretch the denim in the tight areas until it has expanded.
How to Stretch out Jeans FAQ
If the waistband on your jeans is too tight then you may choose to dampen the area and use a waistband stretcher to expand it. If the thigh or knee areas on your jeans are too tight then you may wish to apply lukewarm water to the area and use your hands to stretch.
To drastically stretch jeans, fill a bathtub with lukewarm water and then get into the bathtub while wearing your jeans. Remain in the bathtub for 4 to 8 minutes and then head outside to dry off and bake your jeans in the sun, while still wearing them.
You can stretch jeans to make them bigger using one of the following 5 methods: spray and stretch, squats and lunges, waistband stretcher, blow dryer, wet and wear.
You can stretch in jeans as long as you have enough room to complete a full range of motion. Wearing jeans that are too tight while you stretch may lead to tears and other damage if you are not careful.