How to Stop 60% Cotton Sweatpants from Shrinking
Did you know that 60% cotton sweatpants are usually blended with polyester? Although polyester is resistant to shrinkage, cotton is not. There is nothing worse than pulling your sweatpants out of the dryer 2 sizes smaller. Stop your cotton sweatpants from shrinking by not using heat.
This is How to Stop 60% Cotton Sweatpants from Shrinking: Maintain Your Sweats!
Cotton is a natural fiber which has the ability to shrink a great amount if you are not careful. Polyester is a shrink resistant synthetic fiber, but since it is mixed with cotton, your cotton polyester blended sweatpants are susceptible to shrinkage.
Sweatpants can be made up of both these fabrics and others. Before you start washing your sweatpants you need to know what your sweatpants are made out of.
When washing cotton sweatpants be sure to avoid hot water and heat. You want to use the cold water setting in the washer, and the air dry or tumble dry low setting in the dryer.
Continue reading to see our step-by-step instructions on how to save your 60% cotton sweatpants from shrinking.
How to Stop 60% Cotton Sweatpants from Shrinking
Follow our guides below to help you keep your favourite sweats in the shape you like best.
1. How to Wash 60% Cotton Sweatpants Without Shrinking
Protect your 60% cotton polyester sweatpants from shrinking by following our step-by-step instructions below:
- Turn your sweatpants inside out to protect the outer layer from wear and tear.
- Place your sweatpants in the washing machine.
- Adjust the washer settings to delicate so that the machine uses cold water and gentle agitation (how long does a washer take).
- Remove the sweatpants from the washing machine and proceed to dry them appropriately.
If your sweatpants aren’t 60% cotton, our article on how to wash sweatpants without shrinking might be a more informative read.
Also, it may be smarter to take your laundry to the dry cleaners. Hiring a professional is always a good option when your unsure of your skill. Learn how long a dry cleaner takes and how much does a dry cleaner cost before deciding.
Continue reading to find the instructions on how to dry 60% cotton sweatpants without shrinking, below.
2. How to Dry 60% Cotton Sweatpants Without Shrinking
There are several methods you can use to dry your 60% cotton sweatpants properly.
If you are super cautious about shrinkage, then you may wish to simply line dry or lay your sweatpants flat on a drying rack to dry (dry flat.) These two methods of drying will not lead to any shrinkage in your sweatpants.
There are more ways to drying your clothes without a dryer as well.
You can also use the dryer to dry your sweatpants, however there are a few guidelines you need to abide by in order to avoid shrinkage. Read our detailed instructions below to learn how to dry 60% cotton sweatpants without shrinking while using the dryer.
- Make sure the sweatpants are turned inside out.
- Place them in the dryer.
- Adjust the dryer settings to air dry or tumble dry low.
- Run the dryer and periodically check on your sweatpants so you do not over tumble them once dry. (learn how long does a dryer take.)
- Remove the sweatpants from the dryer and store appropriately (fold or roll).
3. How to Care for 60% Cotton Sweatpants Without Shrinking: Quick Checklist
Take note of these crucial pointers to avoid shrinking your 60% cotton sweatpants in the washer or dryer.
- Be sure to turn your sweatpants inside out when washing or drying. This helps to protect the outer layer of the sweatpants from damage. It also increases the contact between the dirty inner side of your sweatpants and the washing detergent.
- Always use cold water to wash your sweatpants. Never wash your sweatpants with hot water.
- Never dry your sweatpants using tumble dry high or tumble dry medium. Use air dry or tumble dry low to dry your sweatpants if you choose to use the dryer.
Does Hot Water Shrink Clothes?
Yes, hot water does shrink clothes. Hot water will especially shrink clothes made from 100% cotton, wool, linen, or rayon. Some synthetic fibers such as polyester and spandex have been treated during production so that they are more resistant to shrinkage.
Learn more about this with can you shrink polyester?
If you do not want to shrink your clothes be sure to use cold water setting in the washing machine and air dry setting in the dryer.
Want to shrink different types of clothes? How to Shrink Clothes: Methods for All Types of Fabrics.
Does Cotton Shrink in the Dryer?
Yes, your cotton clothing will shrink in the dryer, but only if dried using the tumble dry high or tumble dry medium settings. If you want to use the dryer to dry your cotton clothing, it is best to adjust the settings to tumble dry low or air dry.
How to Stop 60% Cotton Sweatpants from Shrinking FAQ
Sweatpants will shrink in the wash only if they are washed with hot water. Use the cold water setting on your washing machine to avoid shrinking your sweatpants in the wash.
Turning your sweatpants inside out when washing is preferable because it will protect the outer layer while also exposing the detergent to the dirtiest parts of your pants, which is the insides.
Use the cold water setting while your cotton pants are in the washing machine to avoid shrinking them.
Use the cold water setting on your washing machine to wash your Nike sweatpants so that they don’t shrink. Avoid using hot water settings and avoid putting your sweatpants in the dryer. Line dry or lay flat to dry.