How to Starch Jeans at Home
Wash & Iron
Starching your jeans at home is a simple process that can be done one of two ways; in the washing machine or with an iron. Before you start starching you can buy your liquid starch in a pre mixed bottle or make your own at home with a mixture of water and corn starch. Then all that’s needed tis to apply the starch and follow the steps.
This is How to Starch Jeans at Home: Your Full Guide.
Welcome to our article on how to starch your jeans at home.
Starching jeans is commonly known to be done by cowboys on the ranch because starching seals the denim fabric, making dirt particles slide off instead of getting embedded into the jeans.
If you are not a cowboy or cowgirl, you can still get value from starching your jeans. The starch will keep your jeans clean for longer; add a sheen to them (for personal style preferences) and keep a crease longer.
How to Starch Jeans at Home
Before you starch your jeans, let this short article explain exactly why people starch jeans.
To start starching you will need to decide on what type of starch concoction you want to use. You can buy liquid starch at the store or make your starch spray at home.
Starching doesn’t have to stop at your jeans, you can starch all of your clothes.
How to Make Liquid Starch
- Mix 1 cup of water with 1-2 tablespoons of corn starch.
- Put into a spray bottle.
What's Needed to Starch your Jeans
- Liquid starch
- Laundry detergent
- Washing machine
1. How to Starch Jeans in the Washing Machine
- Place your jeans in the washing machine and set the cold or warm water cycle (how long does a washer take?).
- Add laundry detergent.
- During the rinse cycle, add liquid starch instead of fabric softener.
- When the washing cycle is complete, hang your jeans to dry on a clothesline or put them in the dryer.
- Iron them if you would like to add a more significant crease.
Drying your jeans without a dryer is the safest way to dry them. There is a good chance your jeans will shrink in the dryer. If you are short on time and want your jeans ready to wear the same day then read our guide on how to use a dryer properly.
If you are not short on time then you should line dry or let them dry flat. After they are dry you can hang the jeans up or fold your jeans and tuck them away in a drawer.
2. How to Starch Jeans by Ironing Them
- Wash and dry your jean.
- Lay flat on an ironing board and turn on medium-high heat.
- Shake the liquid starch bottle before spraying.
- Starting with small areas, such as the waistband & around the zipper, spray the jeans with starch spray, so they are slightly damp.
- Let it sit for a minute or two before ironing.
- Iron your jeans fully.
How to Starch Jeans at Home FAQ
Yes, you can starch your own jeans at home. All you need is to put together a corn starch and water solution and wash your jeans in it in the wash.
Cowboys starch their jeans because it seals the denim fabric making the dirt particles bounce off. This allows the cowboys to wear their jeans longer before washing them.
You don’t need to starch your jeans. Starching your jeans will let you wear them longer before they are required to be washed, plus it will help keep a professional-looking crease in them.
You can stiffen your jeans by starching them. Buy liquid starch from the store and spray your entire jeans until they are slightly damp. Then lay them on an ironing board and a medium-high heat iron your jeans.