How to Shrink Joggers in the Wash
Shrinking joggers in the wash is a simple 5 step process that can be easily done at home. Before you start the process of shrinking them you will want to have an idea of how tight you want your joggers to get. Once you shrink your joggers it is hard to un-shrink them.
This is How to Shrink Joggers in the Wash: Simple Instructions!
Joggers are fitted pants with a tapered leg that are meant to have a slim athletic look and tight fit. Your joggers may become stretched after you wear them a few times which means that you may want to learn how to shrink or tighten them.
As matter of fact all of your clothing will stretch over time. Here are our top articles to help you shrink any piece of clothing you own.
By using hot water you can effectively shrink your cotton or cotton blended jogger pants in the washing machine.
Jogger pants made from polyester and other synthetic blends will shrink to a lesser degree but can still be shrunk in the washer.
Let this guide help you if your joggers are majorly a polyester blend, can you shrink polyester?
If you find that the washing machine has not shrunk your clothing enough, you may also place your joggers into the dryer with the setting tumble dry high activated.
How to Shrink Joggers in the Wash
Follow the following steps in order to shrink joggers in the wash.
- Turn your joggers inside out to protect the outside surface of the fabric.
- Place your joggers into the washing machine.
- Adjust the water settings to the highest heat level possible.
- Adjust the cycle duration to the longest run time possible (how long does a washer take).
- Run the wash cycle and remove the joggers once finished.
If you wish to further shrink your joggers you can either:
- Repeat the wash cycle once more.
- Use the dryer.
How to Shrink Joggers in the Dryer
The dryer is of great use and can be highly effective when trying to shrink your joggers. Read the following instructions carefully to learn how to shrink joggers in the dryer.
- Make sure your joggers are damp. Either place the joggers into the dryer directly following a wash cycle, or use a spray bottle filled with water to add moisture.
- Turn your joggers inside out.
- Place your joggers into the dryer.
- Adjust the tumble dry settings on the dryer to tumble dry high and push start.
- Periodically pause the tumble cycle and check your joggers to observe the shrinkage. Remove once you have satisfied your requirements for shrinking. (learn how long a dryer takes.)
How to Shrink Joggers With Boiling Water
If you do not have access to a washing machine you can also place your joggers into a pot of boiling water in order to shrink them. Read our instructions below to find out how to shrink joggers with boiling water.
- Fill a pot or basin with water and bring it to a boil.
- Carefully submerge your joggers in the boiling water.
- Leave the joggers in the water for 8-15 minutes depending on the degree of shrinkage you require.
- Carefully remove the joggers from the water and let cool on a drying rack.
- Once the joggers have cooled, wring the joggers to remove any excess water.
- Let air dry, line dry, dry flat or place in the dryer if you require additional shrinkage.
If your joggers have shrunk enough for you with the boiling water then let them dry without the use of a dryer. This will make sure they do not shrink anymore.
How to Wash Joggers
Wash your joggers by first turning them inside out, and placing them into a mesh laundry bag if you want to be extra careful. Adjust the washing machine to the delicate setting and use cold water. Add laundry detergent and run the cycle until completion.
If you forget to tie your drawstring and it gets pulled out during the washing cycle, follow our article to get it cinched back in: how to put string back in joggers.
Put your joggers away properly once clean, fold and store.
How to Shrink Clothes
If you want to shrink clothes the most important ingredient is heat. Using high water temperature in the washing machine and high heat in the dryer are the two most effective ways to shrink clothes.
Clothes made from cotton, linen, wool, and rayon will shrink the most, while clothing made from polyester, viscose, nylon, and spandex will shrink the least.
For a full explanation on how to shrink clothes please read how to shrink clothes.
How to Shrink Clothes in the Wash
How to Shrink Joggers in the Wash FAQ
Yes, hot water does shrink clothes. If you do not want to shrink your clothing make sure your washing machine is adjusted to the cool water temperature setting before you begin. Conversely, if you would like to shrink your clothing, adjust the settings on the washer to the highest heat level possible.
Cotton is one of the most shrinkable fabrics and will shrink if placed in the dryer on tumble dry high. Use air dry or tumble dry low if you do not want to shrink your cotton clothing in the dryer. You may also choose to line or hang dry your clothing instead of using the dryer.
Make your joggers smaller by using the washer and dryer to shrink them. Use the washing machine on the highest heat settings paired with the dryer on tumble dry high to make your joggers smaller by shrinking them. The level of shrinkage that occurs depends on the type of fabric your pants are made from.
Cotton joggers will shrink in the wash if they are washed in hot water. If cold water is used then cotton joggers will not shrink in the wash.
Most Adidas joggers are made from a cotton polyester blend which means they will shrink to some degree, but not as much as 100% cotton joggers would. To shrink Adidas joggers put them into the washing machine while using the hot water setting and then place them into the dryer with the tumble dry high setting activated.
No, cold water does not shrink clothes. If you want to shrink your clothing then you should wash them in hot water. If you do not want to shrink your clothing then wash them in cold water.