Welcome to our article on how to roll jeans.
Rolling your jeans is a great way to dress up your jeans and highlight a pair of shoes you want to wear specifically for an outfit choice.
How To Roll Jeans
Total Time: 5 min
You can also refer to rolling your jeans as “cuffing.” We created this article on how to cuff jeans as well.
Here is how to do the skinny roll.
1. Start the skinny role with straight pant legs
For men’s styles, the super skinny cuff works for slim and straight-legged jeans. These jeans can also be labelled “skinny” or “slim fit” and usually have a bit of stretch to the fabric.
2. Create the first skinny fold
At the bottom of both legs of your jeans, fold the hem upward to create a very skinny cuff. This cuff should measure about ½ in width and should consist of only the bottom hem being folded.
3. Create the second skinny fold
Fold the bottom of the jeans again to create a double hemline cuff. This cuff should still be relatively ½ wide. Smooth out the edges of the cuff, so your folds are even in size and are uniform.
How to skinny roll: quick tips
- For women’s styles, the super skinny cuff looks best with very form-fitting jeans, often labelled “skinny” jeans
- This cuff looks good for women’s styles with hi-rise and low-rise shoes.
- For men’s styles, this cuff works well with thinner, lighter fabrics and looks good with slender-shaped shoes.
Total Time: 2 min
1. Start the wide role with straight pant legs
For men’s styles, this cuff works on looser, longer, and heavier jeans.
2. Create the wide fold
Fold the bottom of both legs of your jeans upward. For women’s styles, this fold is usually about 2 inches wide. This fold is generally thicker for men’s styles, about 3-5 inches wide. It’s fine to add a second fold if you feel it is needed.
How to wide roll: quick tips
- For women’s styles, this casual cuff looks best on looser-fitting jeans. A loose, straight-legged pair of jeans would work well, but this cuff would also work on jeans labelled as “slouchy” or “boyfriend” jeans.
- The men’s style allows you to cuff your pants again if desired. Just be aware that the look might not be what you aim for, as another large cuff will be reasonably high up your calf.
- This cuff is best for a casual look paired with sneakers for women’s styles.
- For men’s styles, this cuff worked well with heavier jeans and paired with boots.
Total Time: 3 min
1. Start the double role with straight pant legs
The double roll works best with more fashionable or skinny-fit jeans. This is a classic roll to do on a day out or at work.
2. Take the bottom of your jeans and roll them up
Take the bottom of your jeans and roll them up. Create an overlap of about an inch or less.
3. Roll the hem a second time
Roll the hem a second time. Making the second roll slightly wider than the first.
How to double roll: quick tips
- This role is done more efficiently with lightweight fabrics.
Total Time: 3 min
1. Start the pin role with straight pant legs
Choosing any jeans works for this as long as the fabric isn’t already very snug around the ankle.
2. Pinch the jean fabric
Pinch the fabric on the inside of your ankle so it’s a snug fit. Fold the denim over towards your heel.
3. Make the pin roll
With your thumb holding the fold against your leg, use both hands to roll the jeans up over themselves. Make sure the first roll is 1-2 inches wide.
4. Roll the jeans a couple more times
Roll the pants one to two more times. This ensurers the fold doesn’t easily come undone.
How to pin roll: quick tips
- Pin Roll can also be referred to as a Tapered Roll.
- Use loose jeans that you need to put on a belt to keep them up.
Yes, rolling up your jeans is safe for you and the denim fabric. Rolling up your jeans can also make you safer riding your bicycle!
The best way to roll up your jeans when too long is to use the double roll or the pin roll.
To roll jean cuffs, you first want to ensure you have the correct type of jeans. Then simply roll up the cuff as often as needed, depending on the roll you are going for.