Welcome to our guide on how to measure your outseam correctly.
Follow these steps below to order the perfect pair of pants online or get them tailor-made.
Table of Contents
- Sewing measuring tape
How To Measure Outseam
Total Time: 3 min
- Buy your sewing tape measure for $3.59
1. Start from your hip
Start from the hip and take the measuring tape from the top of the pant line down to where the shoe meets the foot, just below the ankle.
2. Measure to just below your ankle
Let the measuring tape fall just below your ankle.
3. Add one inch to the number
Add 1″ to your measurement, and this is your outseam measurement.
How to measure outseam: quick tips
- Wear your pants precisely as you would when wearing them out, sitting the same on your waist.
- Wear shoes for the most accurate measurement.
- Grab a friend to measure the more accurate number.
- Stand against the wall to get the most upright posture.
Now that you know how to measure your outseam, learn these other measurements and build perfect fitting wardrobe with our super guide on how to measure clothes.
Your outseam measurement starts at the outside of your hip, while the inseam starts inside your leg at your inner crotch.
Your outseam size will come from taking your outseam measurement. This measurement is made by placing one end of your measuring tape at your hip and the other end just below your ankle. Add one inch to that measurement to get the final size.
To measure the outseam on shorts your start our measurement at the outside of your hip and end the measurement where you want your shorts to end. This will either be below knee or above knee.