What You'll Need:
- Sewing tape measure
Total Time: 2 min
How To Measure Neck Size
We have given you two options to follow when measuring your neck size. Watch the 0:46 YouTube video or keep scrolling to see the steps in picture format.
1. Place tape on neck
Place the measuring tape about one inch from the meeting of your neck and clavicle.
2. Wrap around neck
Wrap the measuring tape fully around the neck, leaving no loose space in-between the neck and the tape.
3. Connect at the start
Meet back at the start of the tape. This number is your neck size measurement.
How to measure neck size: quick tips
- Don’t pull too tightly to create unnecessary tension, just enough so that you are getting an accurate measurement.
- Make sure the tape is level and not held at an angle.
- Your dress shirt size will be half an inch bigger than the neck size measurement.
- Example: Neck measurement is exactly 14 inches (25.5 cm) around, then your dress shirt size will be 14½ inches (36.8 cm).
- Grab a friend to help if possible.
Use our other measuring guides to help you piece together your suit for that perfect look with our complete guide on how to measure clothes.
No, a 16 inch neck for males isn’t considered big. Adult males will range from 14-19 inches. A larger neck can be due to high quantity of fat on your body or larger neck muscles due to years of body building and physical activity. On the other hand a larger than normal neck can be genetics.
The average males neck size is between 14-19 inches in the USA.
A 15.5 inch neck is not considered small, however it is on the bottom part of the range of size for average males in North America. Most men range from 14 to 19 inches.