How to measure inseam
In this blog, I will tell you all you need to know about what an inseam is, where to find the inseam and how to measure your inseam. By knowing this, you will be one step closer to wearing your clothes in confidence.
- What is an inseam
- How to measure inseam for Tall Men
- How to measure inseam pants
- How to measure inseam shorts
- How to measure waist
Knowing where the inseam is on your pants, shorts, shirt, or jacket is a piece of knowledge every tall guy must have. After finding the inseam, the second most important thing to do correctly is measure it.
Having the correct inseam measurements will help you when purchasing clothing online or in a brick-and-mortar store. You will also want to have this information on hand when getting alterations to your clothing or getting a bespoke piece made. Bespoke meaning, getting something made from scratch that will fit your body perfectly.
The best way to avoid this and find a pair of trousers or shorts to fit you properly; you should be aware of your measurement. The waist, length, and most importantly, the inseam because the first two might fit, but if the inseam is not correct, you may feel uncomfortable every time you put on these new ones you just bought without considering the inseam. Having measurements will especially be vital when purchasing online.
Below you can read what you need to know about measuring your inseam to choose a perfect pair of trousers. You can measure them yourself or take someone’s help to do so.
What is an Inseam
An inseam is a measure of length, starting from where your crotch ends or the uppermost part of your thigh and your ankle starts. It is the measurement of the inner side of your leg starting from your crotch.
The best way to measure an inseam is to measure them on one of your pairs that you feel most comfortable in with a measuring tape. You can always wear your regular shoes to perfect the measurement as the hem of your trousers should end at the right point on the shoes. It can either be at the middle of a heel or just above if you’re wearing a flat shoe.
How to Measure Inseam for Tall Men
Being a Tall Man can be a hassle when looking for your size as they can be few and far between because regular size pairs are catered for the masses. A 36” is more than enough for most tall men. If you need longer or don’t know your correct length, we have you covered.
For example, if you want a pair of straight-leg jeans and are very tall, look for jeans with a 36-inch inseam. The shorter the inseam, the shorter the length of the jean. When looking for a cropped jeans that hit above the ankle, search for 21-30″ inseam jeans, depending on your height. Meanwhile, for a straight-leg pair that strikes above the ankle, a long inseam pair of jeans is your best bet. For these, look for a jean inseam of at least 27″ and as long as 34″ (again, height-dependent).
How to Measure Inseam Pants
Pants, trousers or shorts can improve your style, which tells a lot about a person. You shop for them, which can complement your style and make you appealing. But usually, if you are not adequately aware of your measurements, you realize the pants you’re shopping for don’t fit. They may be perfect for your waist, but either it is too long at the hem, or your foot hardly passes the opening of a skinny trouser.
Shopping for a pair can be especially bothersome if you are a tall person, for which most of the retailers don’t cater for all sizes. To help you save time and stress over trying countless pairs on, this is how can measure your inseam to know if a size of pants will fit before trying them on
- Use a pair that fits you best, if you’re doing it at home
- The best-fit pair will give you the best result
- Lay it down flat, preferably at a flat surface
- Fold your pants so that each leg is on top of the other
- Lift the top pant towards your waist and place them there
- Be careful in placing the top pant as not to twist the crotch area
- Also, remove any crease to get a better measurement
- Take a measuring tape and measure starting from the seam of your pants till the hem
- Make sure to measure it all the way down along the seam of the pants
- Take the exact measurement so as not to make an error
- Consider the type of pants or shoes you’re going to wear with
- If shopping for jeans, above ankles is a good length
- If shopping for pants to wear with heels, add 0.5-1 inch in your measurement
- If you’re buying jeans, measure for jeans and the same for other types of pants like trousers, slacks, etc.
- Sometimes it is advised to take off your shoes and stand against a wall for a perfect posture for best measurements.
- In some cases, the tag might mention the inseam on the inside; if it is, you’re good to go; if not, follow the above methods.
- You can always get the inseam measured at a shop.
- When you do that, remember to wear skin-tight ones so that it is easier for the employee to measure
- One final method is to measure inseam while naked, only wearing underwear, especially for skinny pants or jeans.
How to Measure Inseam Shorts?
Most of the steps when measuring your inseam on shorts will be the same as when measuring for pants; here are a few unique steps to consider.
- Measuring the inseam of a short should be done the same way as with pants
- You need to consider if the hem is above or below your knees
- Type of short your shopping for, is it a casual, for jogging, etc.
- In the case of shorts, you should also measure the outer-seam for best results.
- If the outer of the shorts is not seamed, then measuring the thigh would do
How To Measure Waist
- To measure the waist, spread your trousers on a flat surface and measure from end to end.
- Double it for circumference
- You can also measure your waist above your hip bone for perfect measurement.
- In some fashion, measuring the waist above the belly button is a better option, especially in the case of women.
- Hence, above are a few tips and hacks that are sure to be of immense help to you while you measure the inseam.