Welcome to our guide showing you how to measure your arm length.
You may need to know this for a tailored shirt you’re having made or ordering a jacket online and want to be sure it fits in all areas.
Alternatively, maybe you need the length for athletic ventures. No matter whatever you need it for, our steps below will give you the answer to your needs.
Other ways this may be worded:
- How do you measure arm length?
- How to measure arm span?
- How to measure wingspan by yourself?
- How to measure arm size?
- How to measure sleeve length?
- How to measure arm length for shirt?
What You'll Need:
First, you will want to start by making sure you have these tools needed to measure your arm length.
- Sewing tape measure
- A friend
Total Time: 10 min
How To Measure Arm Length
1. Stand straight with arms relaxed
Stand up straight with your arms relaxed and at your sides, facing away from your friend.
2. Place measuring tape at base of your neck
Place one end of a measuring tape at the base of your neck. Position the measuring tape precisely in the center of your neck to get the most accurate measurement.
3. Run measuring tape over shoulder
Run the tape measure over the shoulder and down your arm.
4. Arm length for clothing measurement
Take the tape down to the area just past your wrist bone for clothing measurement.
5. For full arm length
If it’s not for clothing, then continue measuring to your fingertips if measuring your full arm length. Measure to your fingertips, stretching out your fingers as far as possible
How to measure arm length: quick tips
- Although you can measure your arm length on your own, you will get a better arm length measurement if you have a partner who can take it for you.
- Avoid hunching forward or leaning as much as possible, as either may skew your measurement.
- If you’re taking sleeve measurements, finish measuring where you want the sleeve or shirt cuff to sit.
- If you’re measuring arm length for fitness-related reasons, you may need to measure past your wrist.
- Measure to your fingertips, stretching out your fingers as far as possible
Follow the rest of our guides, in the how to measure clothes super guide, to perfectly measure each area needed to finish off that proper dress shirt or stylish jacket your making.
You can find your arm length by measuring from the base of your neck, down your shoulder, and following along your arm. If you are getting a measurement for clothing, you will want to stop the measuring tape at your wrist. If the measurement is for sports like boxing, then measure down to the end of your middle finger.