How to Measure a Belt
To measure your belt size, you will need to lay the belt on a flat table or floor. Start the tape measure at the hole you use and measure to the end of the belt, where it meets the buckle. Take this measurement in inches, and then add 1 inch to the number for your belt size. example: 36 + 1 = 37 inches.
This is How to Measure a Belt: Men’s Guide.
Welcome to our guide on how to measure your belt correctly.
If suspenders are not your style, these three options below will ensure your belt fits precisely to your waist measurements. You will learn below:
Tools needed to measure your belt size correctly.
- Measuring tape
How to Measure a Belt
Take one of these three guides to get the perfect belt for your shorts, jeans, slacks, khakis, golf pants or dress pants.
The main number you want to remember is that your belt size is 2 inches larger than your waist measurement.
Let our other articles on perfecting your belt help you.
1. How to Measure a Belt Size by Waist
1. Wear pants that fit well
Wear pants that fit well. Put on a pair of jeans or dress pants that you will wear frequently with a belt.
2. Use a sewing measuring tape
Use a sewing measuring tape. While you are wearing the pants, thread a fabric measuring tape through the belt loops of the pants. Pinch the two sides together where they meet in front. This number will be your normal waist measurement.
3. Find your belt measurement
Find your belt measurement by reading the measurement in the mirror or mark the point where the two sides of the measuring tape meet with a safety pin. Remove the tape from the loops and read the measurement. Then, choose the belt size that’s 2 inches larger than your waist measurement.
4. Consult a universal size chart
Consult a universal size chart. Since many belts are sold by size (small, medium, large, etc.) rather than measurement, you may need to view a sizing chart that can help you determine the correct size. Men’s and women’s belts are typically sized differently.
How to Measure a Belt Size by Waist: Tips
- The pants should not be too loose or too tight so that you will be able to get an accurate measurement of your waist.
- Always go up one inch from the measurement made on the tape.
2. How to Measure an Existing Belt
1. Find a belt that fits
Find a belt that fits. Generally, a belt fits you well when you can easily buckle it using the third hole in the belt.
2. Spread the belt out
Spread the belt out on a flat surface like a table or the floor. Lay it down so that the belt is completely flat and doesn’t have any bumps sticking out.
3. Choose a measuring tape
Use a retractable measuring tape or a fabric measuring tape.
4. Measure your belt
Measure from the base of the buckle prong to the center hole. If you don’t use the center hole, measure from the base of the buckle prong to the hole you use the most.
5. Use those numbers
The number (in inches) that you have for the measurement of the belt will be the size you use for ordering your new belt.
How to Measure an Existing Belt: Tips
- Take a belt that fits well – either one you already have or go to a clothing store and try on belts until you find one that fits the way you want it to.
- When laying the belt flat make sure the belt is fully extended and doesn’t have any slack.
- If the measurement number is 34 inches (86.4 cm), order a size 34 belt.
3. How to Get a Belt Tailored
- Go to your local tailor.
- Wear appropriate pants.
- Get measured. The professional tailor will measure your waist with a fabric tape measure. They will tell you how to stand and find the right measurement for your belt.
How to Get a Belt Tailored: Tips
- A trained tailor will be able to help you get an accurate measurement for your belt size with no margin for error.
- Make sure you wear pants that fit snug to your body when you get measured. You don’t want any loose material adding inches to your measurement, as this will cause your belt to be too loose.
- Let the professional tailor measure your waist with a fabric tape measure. They will tell you how to stand for the correct measurement.
Finding your belt size is only the first step in creating that perfect outfit. Make sure your pants fit your body type with our how to measure clothes ultimate guide.
How to Measure a Belt FAQ
For a 32 inch waist you need to buy a belt size of 34.
For a 33 inch waist you will want to buy a belt size of 35.
A size 34 belt is 32 inches long.
Your belt size is two inches larger than your pant waist size. If you wear a 33″ trouser, buy a 35″ belt. Round up your waist size if it doesn’t land on a square number then add two inches for your belt measurement. Most belts have five holes.