How to Make a Hoodie Bigger
You can make your hoodie bigger using multiple methods; however, the best strategies will be water and a heat source. The second action needed after water and heat is applying pressure, usually from your hands, and pulling on the hoodie. Whatever choice you make, be sure NOT to throw your hoodie in the dryer after.
This is How to Make a Hoodie Bigger: 2 Methods.
Welcome to our article on how to make a hoodie bigger. Or perhaps your wanting to know how to make your sweatshirt bigger?
Being a tall guy (I hit doorways at 6’7), I constantly need to make hoodies longer and bigger. Due to all of this practice, I have gotten pretty good at it!
Follow these simple instructions below, and be sure to hang or fold your hoodie once you are satisfied with the new fit.
How to Make a Hoodie Bigger
Follow these steps below to make your hoodie bigger so it fits better, or if you simply want an oversized hoodie to style with your latest pair of sweatpants, joggers or jeans.
For other hoodie tips, read our in-depth guides on all things hoodies.
1. How to Make a Hoodie Bigger with Water
- Find a large basin (or beer cooler) that you can fill with water. Using your sink or bathtub will also work.
- Fill up your bucket or tub with warm water. Pour in 2 tablespoons of hair conditioner or baby shampoo. This will help the fibres in the fabric relax.
- Push your sweatshirt under the water, carefully pushing out any air bubbles with your hands. Swish it around a little to make sure it stays submerged.
- Soak the hoodie for 30 minutes.
- Rinse out the conditioner using cool running water, or fill the tub with cool water and swish the sweatshirt to rinse it.
- Take the hoodie out of the water and press out as much water as possible without wringing it out, which could damage it.
- Roll the hoodie up inside a clean bath towel to soak up even more of the excess water.
- Spread out the sweatshirt, lying flat on another clean towel.
- Find the parts of the hoodie that you want to make bigger. If you’re going to make it longer, hold the top of a shoulder and the hem and gently stretch in both directions. Hold both side seams to make the chest area wider and pull gently in both directions.
- Stretch until the hoodie reaches the size you want.
- Leave your hoodie out to air dry. Putting the hoodie in the dryer will shrink the fabric to the size you had, perhaps even smaller.
How to Make a Hoodie Bigger with Water: Tip
- Once stretched by hand, hang your hoodie to dry if you want the length of it to be longer.
2. How to Make a Hoodie Bigger with Steam
- Turn on your steamer to heat it up.
- Hang your hoodie onto a door frame or another solid object that will give you 360-degree access to all of the fabric.
- Using a slow sweeping motion, run the steam back and forth so that moisture can penetrate every part of the hoodie.
- Repeat this motion on both the front and the back of the sweatshirt
- While the hoodie still feels damp and warm, use a gentle stretching motion to pull key areas in opposite directions. Tug on the shoulders and hem to make the sweatshirt longer, or hold two sides of the neck hole and tug gently to increase the neck hole size.
- If the hoodie cools down before you finish stretching, turn on the steamer again and give it a going-over before resuming stretching.
How to Make a Hoodie Bigger with Steam: Tip
- Always keep the nozzle of the steamer pointed away from you.
How to Make a Hoodie Bigger FAQ
Stretching your hoodie with soaking water or a steamer is the best way to make your hoodie oversized.
Yes, you can resize a hoodie. You can make your hoodie smaller or bigger, whichever of the two you desire.