Welcome to our article showing you the best ways to hang your pants.
Hanging your pants will help them stay wrinkle-free and keep them odourless (unlike laying in a pile of dirty clothes after you throw them to the ground.)
You will see below there are a handful of different ways how to hang pants, and this is mainly due to the quality of pants you want to hang. These hanging guides have you covered from sweatpants to jeans and dress pants.
- How to hang pants
- How to hang pants using a clothing hanger with clips
- How to hang pants using a clamping pants hanger
- How to hang pants using a savile row fold
How To Hang Pants
Total Time: 5 min
Hanging your pants will not only keep them looking better, but it will also help your pants last longer. But pants are not the only garments that benefit from being hung in a closet. Keep reading to find out the best way to hang pants.
1. Get a standard clothes hanger
Get a standard clothes hanger. A standard clothing hanger will be shaped like a triangle with two diagonal bars and a horizontal bar at the bottom. The method works great for any pant, but the pants are more likely to slip off
2. Fold the pants in half vertically
Fold the pants in half vertically. Make sure that the hand pockets are on the inside, and that the seat of the pants is on the outside.
3. Hook your hanger over something stable
Hook your hanger over something stable, such as a rod or door frame. This will leave both of your hands free for the nest step.
4. Drape the pants over the horizontal bar in the hanger
Drape the pants over the horizontal bar in the hanger. Slip the pants through the hanger, and drape them across the bar by the leg part. When you are done, the waistband should be touching the cuffs.
5. Adjust the pants so that they balance right and don't slide off
Adjust the pants so that they balance right and don’t slide off. Either tug on the waistband or on the ankles. Do this until the pans hang across the bar without slipping.
6. Place the hanger inside your closet
Place the hanger inside your closet. If your pants keep sliding off, you can secure them with a clothespin. Clip a clothespin or two across the horizontal bar.
How to hang pants: quick tips
- Trying an L-shaped hanger that’s open on one side will make it easier to slide the pants off of it
- Add a velvet strip, moleskin, or hot glue across the bottom bar. This will create some friction and keep the pants from sliding to the side or falling off.
How To Hang Pants Using A Clothing Hanger With Clips
Total Time: 5 min
- Get a hanger with clips attached to it. If you can’t find one, then buy some clips to fit over the bottom/horizontal bar of the hanger you have. These hangers are suitable for most types of pants, but they may leave some imprints in leather or pleather pants unless you use cushioning as a slip of thicker paper.
- Fold your pants if they are too wide or too long. If your pants are too wide for your hanger, fold them in half vertically. If you do not have a lot of vertical space in your closet, fold your pants in half vertically, then horizontally. You will be clipping them by the knee part.
- Clip the pants by the waistband to the hanger. Each clip should be about 1 inch (2.54 centimeters) away from the outside edge of the waistband. The clips on most hangers are adjustable. They can slide across the bar back and forth. Move the clips around as necessary.
- Consider using paper slips to protect fabric and leather from getting imprints. Many pant clips have little grooves or teeth on them. These can leave marks and imprints in soft fabrics, such as leather and pleather. Find four thicker pieces of paper (cardboard even) and place two inside each pant clip. Place the cloth between the cards. The cards will cushion the material and protect it from the teeth
- Place the hanger inside your closet. Consider hanging them so that the hook’s curved part faces you.
How to hang pants using a clothing hanger with clips: quick tips
- You can also use business cards, playing cards, or even pieces of cardstock.
- You can also use large binder clips.
How To Hang Pants Using A Clamping Pants Hanger
Total Time: 5 min
- Get a clamping pants hanger. These are usually made out of wood, and consist of two horizontal bars that pull together. They are ideal for suit pants.
- Fold the pants in half vertically. The hand pockets should be on the inside, and the seat of the pants should be on the outside.
- Open the hanger. Grip the hook part of the hanger and pull it towards you. The two horizontal bars should open up.
- Place the cuffs between the bars. You will be hanging these pants by the cuffs. You don’t want to hang these pants by the waistband when using this type of hanger. This is because bulky things, such as buttons and zippers, get in the way. They prevent the hanger from closing together all the way.
- Close the hanger and place it in your closet. Push the hook part back down towards the hanger and away from you.
How To Hang Pants Using A Savile Row Fold
Total Time: 5 min
- Get a standard clothes hanger. It is the one that looks like a triangle. It has two diagonal bars, and a horizontal bar at the bottom. This method is great for dress pants.
- Hold the pants upside down by cuffs. Your thumbs should be touching the inseams. Your fingers should be touching the outer leg seams. The inseams should be facing each other.
- Place the hanger between the pant legs. It might be easier to place the hanger on a rod first. The horizontal bar should be between the two pant legs. You should still be holding the pants by the cuffs.
- Drape one leg across the horizontal bar. Pull the leg through the hanger, and fold it across the bar.
- Tug the leg down so that the cuff touches the crotch part of the pants. Let go of the cuff.
- Drape the other leg over the first one. Pull the other leg through the hanger and drape it across the horizontal bar. Tug the leg down until the pants hang evenly.
- Place the hanger in your closet. The pants now won’t slip off the hanger, no matter how much you shake it.
Pants can be hung multiple ways but the simplest way to hang your pants is to use a standard clothing hanger. Fold your pants in half vertically, line up the bottom hem and let the pants split the hanger perfectly down the middle so they stay there.
It is better to hang pants. This will allow your pants to wrinkle less, and they will last longer over time.
To hang your pants without folding them, use a clamping pants hanger.