All of us have more pairs of shorts then we probably should, which means we need to fold and store them properly so that we can have a clean closet as well as less wrinkles in our shorts.
There are 4 different ways to fold shorts, and each fold or roll is different and comes with its own set of pros and cons.
Flat fold shorts if you want to keep a neat wardrobe and avoid the creation of wrinkles and creases.
Use the file fold to keep your drawers very tidy, organized, neat, and uniform.
The block roll and the army roll are both great ways to pack shorts in your suitcase if you are looking to save space when heading on vacation or a work trip.
How To Fold Shorts
There are several different ways to fold shorts, and you may choose one of these methods depending on your particular situation and requirements. If you are storing jean shorts in a drawer then you would likely prefer to flat fold them, as this will leave less wrinkles and creases. If you are packing a suitcase for a vacation then you may want to army roll your board shorts so that they take up less space and you can fit more pairs!
To flat fold shorts all you need is a clean flat space. This can be an ironing board, bed, sofa, or even the floor! Follow these simple instructions to learn how to flat fold shorts.
1. Fold shorts pocket to pocket
Fold the shorts in half from pocket to pocket, placing one leg on top of the other with the back pockets/back side facing outwards.
Fold the shorts in half from south to north, bringing the bottom hem to the top of the waistband.
3. Smooth out the creases
Use your hands to smooth out wrinkles and creases and store appropriately.
File folding is a compact and tidy way to store shorts and can be used in a number of different situations. Learn how to file fold shorts by following the steps below.
- Lay the shorts on a clean flat surface.
- Pinch the waist of the shorts and fold them in half from side to side.
- Fold the bottom hem of the shorts upwards, until it is 2/3 of the way up to the waistband.
- Grab the top of the shorts it inwards 2/3 of the way.
- To complete, roll the shorts from one end to the other as compactly as possible.
The block roll is a great option for those of you that are looking to save some space in your suitcase while traveling. Read below to learn how to block roll shorts.
- Lay the shorts evenly on a flat surface.
- Fold the shorts in half from the waist. The backside should now be facing upwards/outwards, and the front side is hidden inwards.
- Take one leg, and fold it in a 90° angle from halfway up the leg.
- Grab the waistband of the shorts, and begin to roll downwards.
- Once the bottom is reached you will find that one leg is hanging loose. Use this leg to pull over top of the roll, so that the rest of the shorts are encapsulated inside.
- The short’s leg should now be inside out, and the rest of the shorts should be contained inside, similar to how you might roll a sleeping bag.
The Army Roll is also a very effective way to save space in your luggage if you are looking to pack away your shorts for that warm tropical vacation.
- Turn the waist of the shorts inside out, exposing about 8cm/2.5in of the inside fabric.
- From the bottom of the shorts, overlap the two inner seams of the legs, so that the inside of the legs are now partially overlapping each other.
- Fold the outside edges of the pant legs inwards. The shorts should look long and skinny now.
- Tightly roll the shorts from the bottom upwards.
- Once the shorts are fully rolled, tuck and wrap the shorts into the fold you created in step 1.
Turn the waist inside out and overlap the 2 inner seams of the legs. Fold the outside edges of the pants inwards and then tightly roll the shorts from the bottom upwards. Once the shorts are fully rolled, tuck and wrap the shorts into the fold you made at the top of the waistband.
The best way to fold shorts for drawers is by using the flat fold. The flat fold is simple to execute, and leaves your shorts looking neat and tidy. Using the flat fold is the best way to keep your shorts from wrinkling while in storage.
You can organize shorts by folding them neatly in a drawer, or hanging them evenly in the closet. You may also organize shorts by color, style, or length, if you want to be super organized.