How to Fold Jeans
Save space in your closet, wardrobe, or suitcase using our 4 methods for folding jeans. File or flat fold your jeans if you are looking to store them in a drawer or on a shelf. If you are looking to save room and avoid creating wrinkles on your jeans while they are packed away in your suitcase, then use the block roll or army roll.
This is How to Fold Jeans: 4 Space Saving Methods.
Jeans are durable, comfortable, versatile, and affordable, which is why they have remained so popular for such a long time.
It’s easy to get carried away buying too many pairs of jeans, which then leads to those same jeans taking up too much space in our closet (can’t hang them), drawers, and suitcases.
Learning how to properly fold your jeans is important because it can make your closet look more more organized, clean and neat, as well as help to save space in your suitcase and carry-ons while you are traveling.
Folding your jeans properly will also help you to avoid creating wrinkles and creases on your jeans when they are tucked away in storage.
Different kinds of situations will require a different kind of fold, so continue reading to find detailed instructions on how to file fold, flat fold, army roll, and block roll jeans.
How to Fold Jeans
There are several different ways to fold your jeans and some are better than others depending on the situation you are in. You would likely prefer to block roll your jeans if you are running out of space in your suitcase while you are packing for vacation, however, the file fold would be a better option for people who are looking to store their jeans in a dresser drawer or on a shelf.
Folding your jeans correctly can help you to avoid creating wrinkles and creases, which will help you to achieve a clean and stylish look. To make sure your jeans really are clean you may also want to read our article on how to wash jeans to make sure your jeans are always looking as fresh as possible. You may iron the jeans at this time as well.
Perfect your folding for any piece of clothing with these guides.
Continue reading below to find out how to fold and roll jeans using the following methods:
- File fold
- Flat fold
- Army roll
- Block roll
1. How to File Fold Jeans
File folding is a great way to store your jeans and can be used in a number of different scenarios. File fold jeans by following the steps below.
- Lay your jeans on a flat surface.
- Pinch the fabric on your waistband and proceed to fold your jeans in half. They should be folded in half vertically, the long way.
- Fold the bottom hem of your jeans upwards, until it is 2/3 of the way up the pants.
- Grab the end of the fold that has both the waist and the ankles, and fold it inwards 2/3 of the way.
- Finally, roll your jeans from one end to the other as tightly as possible.
2. How to Flat Fold Jeans
The flat fold is a simple fold that is useful for storing your jeans in a drawer or in your closet. Follow the instructions below to learn how to flat fold your jeans.
- Fold your jeans in half across the body, placing one leg on top of the other with the back pockets/back side facing outwards.
- Take the jeans and fold them in half vertically, bringing the bottom hem to just below the waist and forming a long rectangle.
- Fold the jeans upwards again, this time into thirds.
- Now you are finished!
3. How to Army Roll Jeans
If you are looking to save space in your suitcase then using the army roll to store your jeans is your best option. Follow the steps below to learn how to army roll jeans.
- First, turn the waist of your jeans inside out, exposing about 8cm/2.5in of the fabric inside.
- Grab your jeans from the bottom hem, one in each hand, and proceed to overlap the two inner seams of the pant legs, so that the inside of the jeans legs are partially over/under one another.
- Fold the outside edges of your jean’s pant legs inwards. Your jeans should look long and skinny now.
- Starting at the bottom, begin to roll your jeans upwards from the bottom.
- Once your jeans are fully rolled, tuck and wrap the body of the jeans into the fold you created in step 1.
4. How to Block Roll Jeans
The block roll is another fantastic option for people who are looking to maximize the space in their suitcase while traveling. Read below to learn how to block roll jeans.
- Lay your jeans evenly on a flat surface.
- Fold them in half from the waist. The backside of your jeans should now be facing upwards and outwards. The front side of your jeans should be hidden inwards.
- Take one pant leg, and fold it in a 90° angle outwards at the knee.
- Grab the jeans at the waistline, and begin to roll downwards by the waistband.
- Once the bottom is reached you will find that one pant leg is hanging loose. Use this pant leg to pull over top of the roll, so that the rest of the jeans are encapsulated inside.
- Your jeans’ pant leg should now be exposed inside out, and the rest of the jeans should be contained inside that leg.
How to Fold Jeans FAQ
Jeans can be folded in 1 of 4 ways. You may file fold, flat fold, block roll, and army roll your jeans. The type of method you choose will depend on what you wish to accomplish.
The best way to fold your jeans if you are looking to save room is to army roll or block roll your jeans.
Each method has its benefits as well as its drawbacks. You will choose to hang or fold your jeans depending on which situation you are in. If you are traveling and need to save space then you may wish to block roll your jeans. If your jeans have just come out of the wash, then you should hang your jeans.